[rt-users] Enhanced workflow model for RT

Mikko Lipasti mikko.lipasti at polarcom.fi
Fri Jul 22 02:27:11 EDT 2005

Hello list,

After a whole lot of Google searching and other research, I've come to
the conclusion that implementing workflows in RT is not as easy,
flexible, manageable as it should IMHO be. The current way of using
CreateTickets also comes short on a few points.

I wrote an article on this, with a preliminary sketch of a resolution
which is pasted below. The entire article can be found at:

http://havuharju.blogspot.com/2005/07/enhanced-workflow-model-for-rt.html

--- 8< ---

I'm sketching a solution which would introduce a graph-based workflow
model to RT. There would be one workflow per queue and a ticket's state
would be identified by a variable pointing to the node or nodes, in the
case of parallel processing, the request is at.

The nodes of the graph would be entry points, exit points, calling
points (for incorporating another workflow), action points, decision
points, forking points (parallel processing begin) and barrier points
(parallel processing end) and the (directed) edges of the graph would
record the possible transitions between the nodes. Nodes and edges could
carry information about roles and privileges as well as instructions and
UI labels.

Implementing the graph in SQL is not a big deal. Writing the state
engine code and the workflow editor is a little more complex.
Integrating all this into the RT GUI is an unknown quantity to me.
Fortunately, RT seems to support third party extensions quite well,
though.

Has this been done before? I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

I would like to hear your comments on the subject and any general
thoughts and insight you might have.

Best regards,

--
Mikko Lipasti