[rt-users] Lost of history after upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.4.2

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Wed Jul 27 08:23:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:53:31PM +1000, Phil Homewood wrote:
> Will Maier wrote:
> > My concern is that the update scripts required to get the testing instance
> > running correctly might break the database which the production instance depends
> > upon.
>
> They shouldn't, if you've supplied the right database to
> configure (--with-db-database). You should be running
> rt-setup-database out of your installed testing instance,
> so it won't know anything about the production instance.

Only problem is that the two instances share the database right now; sorry for
not being clear on that point. I'd go ahead and mirror the current database, but
we're a little tight on resources -- a third mysqldb on the server would be a
Bad Thing. My problem is that I want to guarantee the upgrade as much as I can;
at the same time, I feel limited by hardware and system design concerns (neither
of which are RT's fault).

Maybe a more appropriate question might be: how are folks testing their
upgrades? Anyone in a similarly unfortunate situation?

> Of course, paranoia is a Good Thing, and backups before
> making significant change are always a Good Idea. :-)

Amen; sorry to let my paranoia (Good Thing or otherwise) fill up a thread.
Thanks for your reply.

--

Will Maier