[rt-users] HTMLAREA patch?

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Thu Jun 2 15:45:11 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Stan wrote:

> I really want an (inline?) spell checker.

So use a browser that will let you use one.

Here's two for Firefox / Mozilla / Gecko / etc:

<http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/>

    SpellBound is a port of the spellchecker code and user interface
    from the Mozilla Suite's Composer that enables spell checking in web
    forms such as html textarea / input elements (html input password
    elements are not checked by SpellBound) and rich text form elements.
    This allows you to spell check forms (e.g. message board posts, blog
    entries, wysiwyg, etc.) before submitting them when using your
    Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Suite browser.

<http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/>

    This is the Mozilla spellchecker project, which adds spell checking
    ability to the Mozilla Composer and the Mozilla Mail message
    composition window. It uses the MySpell spell checking engine (also
    used in OpenOffice.org)

Admittedly, the latter sounds less useful than the former, but then I'm
just citing the first two hits I got from a Google search for "mozilla
spell check"; a longer search would include others as well.

On OSX, the system can do spell checking on all text fields, so you
don't need an separate plugin for this functionality, but from your
headers you seem to be using Windows, so that may not help you. I'm not
aware of an equivalent way to get Windows to do this, so in your case
the plugin to *zilla is probably the easiest approach.

--
Chris Devers