[rt-users] Installation pain...

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Jun 9 10:36:56 EDT 2005

Francois Meehan wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Such a beautifull software, so hard to install.
>
>Eventhough the FAQ says Fedora is the easiest distro to install RT on, the
>fact that is doesn't support mysql 3 makes things so complicated.

IMO, FreeBSD is the easiest to install onto - but I haven't tried
anything else in years. It's simply the path of least resistance.
But if FCx is the only thing you know, it *may* be easier for you to
stay there.

Usually, people have reported most success after building their own
binaries of everything related to RT (apache, perl, mod_perl).

On FreeBSD, you can use the ports-system to do all that for you,
including installation of the database itself.
(All modules needed by RT are in the ports-system).

<soapbox>
There are compelling reasons to use RHEL/SLES over FreeBSD - mainly
drivers for enterprise-class storage HBAs and commercial
system-management (hello cpq-health) or backup-software - but if all
that doesn't apply to you, and you only intend to use open-source
software anyway, FreeBSD might be the better long-term solution.
</soapbox>

>As we don't want upgrade mysql, we are trying to install RT on Postgres.
>But lack of good information on installing RT on that Data base engine
>makes it very difficult.
>
>Does anyone has a setup documentation for RT starting with the database
>and user creation on Postgres?

I didn't see any kind of show-stopper in the installation. See the
wiki.bestpractical.com for a guide on installing on PostgreSQL.
If you are also new to PostgreSQL, too, it probably wouldn't hurt to
familiarize yourself with that database first.
The installation of RT is such that the tables are created as super-user
and the rt_user gets SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE privileges on them.
I used PostgreSQL 8.0.3, BTW. The 8.0-versions should provide a
significant performance improvement.

cheers,
Rainer