[rt-users] Installation pain...

Jon Forrest forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 10 11:32:17 EDT 2005

Phil Homewood wrote:

> Jesse pointed to the README:
>
>>         mod_perl 2.0 isn't quite ready for prime_time just yet;
>>         We _strongly_ recommend that you use Apache 1.3 or FastCGI.
>
> When mod_perl2 calms down and becomes stable and supportable, that
> wording might just change....

The problem is that this wording as been in the wiki for the year or so that
I've been following RT. There's no mention of just what's wrong with
mod_perl2
which makes it hard to see if mod_perl2 has been fixed. Also, a major RT
site on campus at UC Berkeley was using mod_perl2 with complete success
about the time I started looking so I became very perplexed about this.
I also didn't understand the tradeoffs between mod_perl2 and fastcgi
(I still don't).

Another issue that requires a little study before a new user will feel
comfortable is the fact that  there are actually 3 username/password
combinations that you have to be aware of when setting up RT.
These are 1) the Unix username/password, 2) the Mysql username/password,
and 3) the RT username/password. I'm not saying there's anything wrong
with this but it can be confusing.

None of this should be taken as negative comments toward RT. I think it's
wonderful and I'm very thankful to have it, especially for free. The
equivalent of the
pain some of us have felt when setting up RT is the thousands of dollars
that
we would have had to pay to a consultant to set up a Helpdesk system.
A full service Helpdesk system is inherently a complex piece of software
that requires time, money, and pain to set up.

Jon