[rt-users] Installation pain...

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 10 13:25:21 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:32:17AM -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:
> The problem is that this wording as been in the wiki for the year or so that
> I've been following RT. There's no mention of just what's wrong with
> mod_perl2
> which makes it hard to see if mod_perl2 has been fixed. Also, a major RT
> site on campus at UC Berkeley was using mod_perl2 with complete success
> about the time I started looking so I became very perplexed about this.
> I also didn't understand the tradeoffs between mod_perl2 and fastcgi
> (I still don't).

On the latter point, it's mostly that mod_perl is (arguably) a little
easier to set up, and maybe more elegant, but fastcgi permits multiple
different versions running at the same time on the same apache, which
mod_perl wouldn't.  (Was that right, guys?  :-)

> Another issue that requires a little study before a new user will feel
> comfortable is the fact that  there are actually 3 username/password
> combinations that you have to be aware of when setting up RT.
> These are 1) the Unix username/password, 2) the Mysql username/password,
> and 3) the RT username/password. I'm not saying there's anything wrong
> with this but it can be confusing.

Indeed.  I've been doing some intermittent expansion of the install
guide on the wiki; perhaps you have something to contribute as well?

> None of this should be taken as negative comments toward RT. I think
> it's wonderful and I'm very thankful to have it, especially for
> free. The equivalent of the pain some of us have felt when setting
> up RT is the thousands of dollars that we would have had to pay to a
> consultant to set up a Helpdesk system. A full service Helpdesk system
> is inherently a complex piece of software that requires time, money,
> and pain to set up.

And sometimes, the multi-K commercial packages are no easier.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me