[rt-users] How to setup Request-tracker 3.4 on Debian (Sparc)

Stephen Quinney stephen at jadevine.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 04:26:27 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:49:42AM -0400, Jon Daley wrote:
> 	I just updated my debian machine, and it wanted to upgrade to
> 3.4.2.  The dependencies changed, and it no longer depending on
> lib-apache2-mod-perl, but instead lib-apache-mod-perl, and so it wanted to
> install both modules, which seemed like a bad idea to me - maybe it is
> fine, I don't know.

It's good to hear that your upgrade went smoothly, it's always nice to
get success stories. ;-) A few notes:

It sounds like you are following etch/testing.

Yes, etch/testing should soon have mod_perl 2.0.0
(libapache2-mod-perl2 version 1.999.23-1) which is not compatible with
RT 3.4.2.

> 	But, that provided a good excuse to switch over to fastcgi, which
> has been mentioned a number of times on this list as the better way to do
> it.
> 	I had saved the below email, and thank you to Sam for writing,
> though it was quite easy to upgrade.  I use postgresql, but other than, I
> have the same setup.

You should be aware that a very large transition in the way PostgreSQL
packages are handled in Debian has just begun in sid/unstable. These
will propogate to etch/testing in a couple of weeks if there are no
really serious problems. They will almost certainly mean changes are
required to the configuration, at least.

etch/testing is expected to become rather unstable and unpredictable
over the next few months as a number of large transitions take
place. We've been working on getting sarge stable for a long time so
now the floodgates will open and lots of big changes will be
unleashed. Anyone following etch is recommended to do so only with lots
of care and attention. If you want to run RT on a server right now I'd
recommend sticking with sarge/stable.

Stephen