[rt-users] email, exchange, sendmail

Graham Dunn graham.dunn at leitch.com
Thu Jun 16 13:21:57 EDT 2005

Dwyer, Mike # ATLANTA wrote:
> What do I tell my corp Exchange Admin to do so that emails would be
> properly directed to my Fedora3, running Sendmail, and RT?
>
> What are the things I should do, keep in mind, look out for, so that
> when an email hits my RT box it is properly handled? (I have tested "
> echo 'hello' | mail -s "Test subject" rt" on the local box and the
> message arrives in the Queue)

Our setup is a little oblique, but quite flexible.

We have a "custom recipient" defined in our exchange recipient list
called RT with an email address of rt-queue at rt-server.ourdomain.internal

We put that recipient in a distribution list with an email address of
support at ourdomain.com, the DL also contains a public folder that support
mail gets copied to, in case the RT server goes belly-up.

Exchange needs a relay rule in the IMS configuration (under the routing
tab) so it knows where to send mail for rt-server.ourdomain.internal. I
don't know if newer versions of exchange (we use 5.5) can figure out how
to route mail in the absence of an MX record.

To test, you can send directly to your custom recipient until it works
out, then add the custom recipient to a DL with the proper contact address.

Graham