POLL: comments with status changes (was Re: [rt-users] Comment when ticket transfers queues)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 17 12:17:39 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:11:57AM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> >Yes, I believe that's what she wants: she wants to force RT to prompt
> >for a comment transaction to automagically accompany the queue change
> >transaction.
> >
> >On reflection, it seems to *me* that the easiest way to accomplish
> >that, since the queue in which a ticket lives seems only to be able to
> >be changed in the GUI from Basics and Jumbo, is to further restrict it
> >only to the Jumbo screen, and modify the code which catches it to throw
> >an error on Queue changes unless the comment field has contents in it.
> >
> >I'm not enough of an RT hacker to know how practical such a change to
> >the code is, but this sort of speaks to where *I* was originally going
> >with ticket-tracking design before I found RT, which is that *every*
> >transaction automatically has fields for both private and public
> >comment, regardless of what sort of transaction it is.

> Yes, this would be an improvement IMHO. I really think it is better to
> offer the user an opportunity to comment even if it goes unused much of
> the time. The database size change would be minimal and the benefit
> would be great. Our situation is that we transfer tickets back and forth
> between queues to pass them off for the next stage of work. Sure, I can
> go and add a comment to tell them what stage was just completed and what
> was done by whom, but it seems to me that wanting to do so would be more
> the rule than the exception. Is my intended usage so unusual?

Well, clearly *I* don't think so, but I do not comprise the entire set
of users of RT.

So, a poll:

When you make status changes to a ticket (current queue, owner,
priority, etc), do you add a related comment

1)	Always
2)	Almost always
3)	Occasionally
4)	Almost never

?

(I've unthreaded this message so no one misses it.)

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me