[rt-users] issue with schema creation/rt 3.4.2/oracle 10g

kelsey hudson khudson at tsss.org
Thu Jun 23 19:39:37 EDT 2005

i followed the instructions in the INSTALL and INSTALL.Oracle files (or
are they README*? i digress), and I receive this error upon attempting to
create the schema necessary for use with oracle:

Checking for existing system user...not found.  This appears to be a new
installation.
Creating system user...[Thu Jun 23 23:29:31 2005] [crit]: Found a
principal () that was neither a user nor a group
(/opt/rt3/lib/RT/Principal_Overlay.pm:127)
[Thu Jun 23 23:29:31 2005] [crit]: Can't call method "Id" on an undefined
value at /opt/rt3/lib/RT/Group_Overlay.pm line 573.
  (/opt/rt3/lib/RT.pm:285)
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

here's my (rather lengthy) config:

i386 running Linux 2.4.27
operating system is debian sarge (just released a couple weeks ago)
oracle 10g enterprise edition (10.1.0.3.0)
perl 5.8.4 (multi-threaded)
all recommended versions of perl modules and perl libs as per make fixdeps
and of course, rt 3.4.2 (latest as of yesterday)

my configure script ran with the following parameters:

--with-db-type=Oracle --with-db-host=localhost --with-db-dba=rt
--with-db-database=AISDB --with-db-rt-user=rt --with-db-rt-pass=rt
--with-web-user=www-data --with-web-group=www-data

all the values appear to be correct on my machine.

the rt user was created with the following sql:

create user rt identified by rt default tablespace CORPACDATA temporary
tablespace TEMP quota unlimited on CORPACDATA;

grant resource, connect, query rewrite to rt;

everything looks sane on the database end.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong? i *really* don't
want to be forced to install another rdbms on top of the one I already
have. besides, i really dislike mysql.

anyhow, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

-kelsey hudson