[rt-users] Announcing RT::Extension::ExtractSubjectTagOnTransaction

Niels Bakker niels=rt at bakker.net
Fri Jun 24 07:35:10 EDT 2005

* kevinr at bestpractical.com (Kevin Riggle) [Thu 16 Jun 2005, 21:56 CEST]:
>On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:13:34AM -0700, Geyer, Eric wrote:
>> Can this be used to coalesce messages where the user replies without
>> including the RT ticket number in the subject line?
>That's not *really* what this is designed for -- it's mostly been
>written with cross-instance tracking in mind.  However, if you can
>figure out how to make it do what you've described, we'd be interested
>in hearing how you managed it.

For example:

When you create a ticket, remember the Message-Id.  When another e-mail
arrives without a ticket in the Subject, see if it mentions that
Message-Id in the In-Reply-To or References headers.  If so, don't
create a new ticket but add it as correspondence to the first one.

The problem remains that people sometimes don't create a new mail to
start a new thread but reply to an old one and change the Subject only.

You can do all sorts of fancy heuristics but as long as it remains
easier to merge tickets than to un-merge them I wouldn't bother too much.

Otherwise, this looks like a very welcome add-on - thanks, people!
We sometimes have two RT's talking with each other here (we, and a
supplier organisation); whoever started the thread wins, because RT
never changes its idea of a Subject line unless it's manually updated
to include the other's ticket#.  Here's to wishing many people install it.

	-- Niels.