[rt-users] Re: "Asymmetrical" mail processing with RT

Michael Brown brown_m_k at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 29 11:25:56 EDT 2005

Hi Chris!

Answers inline...

Doherty, Chris - Elmira, ON wrote:

> * Outgoing mail is sent to an external SMTP server for delivery

You'll need to set that up in Exim.  Can't help you there, as I use postfix.

> * Incoming mail is retrieved via POP3 from an Exchange Server 5.5 mailbox

I do this with an ISP account used as a maildrop.  Fetchmail grabs it
from the ISP, then dumps it to local users.

> Is this possible?  I've been through the wiki docs, but it's awfully sparse
> on mail configuration.  I'm using exim4 as the MTA and probably fetchmail to
> grab the incoming mail.

Take a lookie at a Quick how-to I posted on docs.opengroupware.org.
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/mkbrown/SOHO/UsingISPmail/document_view

Basically, you'll need to use the real RT set-up instructions, then get
fetchmail to pull the various e-mail accounts and dump them to your MTA.

Now, if you have any spam filtering set-up, AND you use +addressing for
spam delivery (johndoe+spam at domain.ca), then you might want to go beyond
  just putting the RT aliases in the aliases file.

Here's what I did to do that:
/etc/aliases
# spam catching for rt
info+spam: spam
general+spam: spam
training+spam: spam
support+spam: spam
business+spam: spam
sales+spam: spam
consulting+spam: spam

spam: realadminuser

info: "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --action correspond --url
http://localhost/rt/"

and so on...  It helps keep out some of the spam.

> Linux caelm-it01 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
> (Debian sarge/stable)
> RT 3.4.2
> Server version: Apache/2.0.54
> Perl v5.8.4 under linux

I'm on Debian sarge, RT 3.2 and Apache 2 with Postfix, Fetchmail and
Cyrus IMAP

Hope it helps!

/Mike