[rt-users] RT as a Call Center App

Lee W rt-list at unassemble.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 13:16:42 EST 2005

Ron Tyro wrote:

>Hi,
>
>RT 3.4
>Solaris
>MySQL
>
>I have a general question:  is anybody using the RT software as a call
>center application?  That is tickets are created by call center staff
>who take questions/problems via the phone or at a walk-in desk.  If you
>are, is RT working well?  Was allot of customization required?  Within
>the RT code?  Did you have to create extra code to handle your
>workflow?  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron

Hi Ron,

I'm currently trialing RT for a similar propsal to put to my Manager.

RT does initially seem geared up more for email responses which in our
case is great as it means there is already a method of keeping users
informed of what is going on with their ticket after they initially call
us up. At the moment with a using TouchPaper which requires us to
manually send Call Log & Closure emails. I'm sure that it would do it
automatically but would probably have to send another £1000.00 to do
just 0.1% of what RT does.

So far the only real changes I have seen necessary to make is to
customise the primary ticket display to show the users Name, Company and
Work Phone number rather than there email address.  After this I've
starting implementing custom fields for SLA & Catagorisation.

After a week of playing with it, I feel that RT gives a great base for
any kind of customer request tracking (I guess hence the name) and it
provides much area of customisation.

I would be interested to know how you get on with this.

Seeing as I mentioned it, has anyone else migrated from TouchPaper /
Royal Blue to RT and can offer some insights.  As a Helpdesk Analyst
I've only seen the front end so don't know what else it may be capable
of, but I am pretty certain it wouldn't rate highly compared to RT.

Regards

Lee