[rt-users] RT/2 FastCGI and Multiple Instances

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Thu Mar 3 11:59:18 EST 2005

>Am Donnerstag, 3. März 2005 17.28 schrieb Bob Goldstein:
>> >Second problem. I read that you have to run FastCGI if you want to run
>> >multiple instances of RT in the same apache. Same problem here. Most docs
>> > are about RT/3. Does this also apply to RT/2?
>>
>>    I wrote the original wiki about multiple instances.  I have
>>    no experience with RT/2, so that's not included.
>>
>>    However, I'd be quite surprised if fastcgi were not required
>>    for multiple instances in any version.  The reason is that
>>    fully independent instances require fully independent
>>    perl code bases, at least in principle.  Which is something
>>    you can do with fastcgi, but not with mod_perl.
>
>Hi Bob
>
>In the meantime I got fastcgi working on one of the instances. As soon as I
>try to uncomment the second one, the whole thing get's really messy (Apache
>complaining about double definitions of functions from webmux.pl). It looks
>like Apache 1.3.x cannot handle multple fastcgi server (especialy they cannot
>be used inside a <virtualhost> statement). So now I'm struggling with a

 I don't know about virtualhosts, since I don't use them.

 The reason is that I use ssl, and I don't want to have
 multiple certs, so my instances look like:
    https://helpdesk.uic.edu/instance1
    https://helpdesk.uic.edu/instance2

 However, I definitely have multiple fastcgi statements for the
 same helpdesk.uic.edu host.  They look like this, more-or-less:

 FastCgiServer /path/mason_handler_instance1.fcgi
 ScriptAlias /instance1 /path/mason_handler_instance1.fcgi

 FastCgiServer /path/mason_handler_instance2.fcgi
 ScriptAlias /instance1 /path/mason_handler_instance2.fcgi

 It _is_ important that each FastCgiServer statement be given
 a different argument.  My guess is that's true, even
 if they are in different virtualhosts.  In my case, the
 mason_hander *code* is the same for all instances, so
 I just make symlinks so as to have different names
 to pass the FastCgiServer directive.

>second apache instance (separate config file for a separate IP-Address) but
>I'm stuck here:
>
>error:    mkdir /www/snch/pbsrt2/WebRT/data/obj/standard: Permission denied
>at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/HTML/Mason/Interp.pm line 590
>
>Anybody an idea what went wrong? I even tryed to create or chmod 777 that
>directory. I keep seing that error. Apparently it's not FastCGI related as I
>also get it when I comment out the fastcgi statements.

   No good idea, unless the fastcgi uid doesn't have privs
   to create some caching directories where it wants to.

      bobg