[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to Helpdesk and CC others

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Fri Mar 4 12:22:49 EST 2005

Yes, thanks. :-)  I read that... right before I intentionally changed
the setting to 1, as I mentioned.  :-)  This isn't the issue I'm
facing.  I tried to point that out but apparently not very well.

User1 sends an email to user2, user3, and helpdesk.
User2 "reply all"s to user1's email, sending an email to user1, user3,
helpdesk.
Two tickets have just been created.

Turning off the ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs won't help at all here.

Besides user training to scan the email recipients and realize the
ramifications of having helpdesk in the recip list, is there anything
that RT can do to prevent this?  Such as figuring out that "Re: Foobar"
as a subject line might be related to the "Foobar" subject line that it
just turned into a ticket earlier that day?

Maybe I should just have procmail drop anything headed to RT that has
Re: in it without an RT tag.  Seems kludgy though and will definitely
kill some legitimate attempts to make a ticket.

-Fran

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst