[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to Helpdesk and CC others

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:10:13 EST 2005

>   Right.  Here, RT will send the auto-reply  to all the users.
>   So User2 now has the original note from user1, as well
>   as RT's "Thanks for the ticket, here's how to deal with it."

Ah, that would help!  I could add the rule to also include the CCs on
the reply...

That would lead to another issue -  the "why am I getting a receipt from
the Helpdesk when I never sent them a request???" issue.  I guess
eventually they'll be trained to look and see what the issue subject is,
and map back to that other email they just received with that same
subject, and put it all together...

>   Since RT is fast, probably User2 has both notes pretty much
>   simulateously.  Obviously he should reply to the second
>   only.

Eh....if they are a "sequential email processor", they read, reply if
necessary, go to the next, read, reply if necessary.... and although RT
is fast, it's still slower than just emailing them directly, so that RT
email is going to arrive a few seconds later, and thus be later in the
queue.  But, to be fair, I haven't tested my theory to know if that's
what the behavior would really be most of the time...

>   We _have_ had it happen a few times, where user3 was
>   actually a separate, non-RT helpdesk!  Dueling helpdesks

Yep, I've been there before, too.  :-)

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst