[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to Helpdesk and CC others

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Mar 4 17:37:26 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:59:16PM -0600, Russell Mosemann wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > but doesn't the fact
> > that the message is identifiably for an already open ticket keep RT
> > from opening a new one?
>
> The problem is that it is not identifiably open.
>
> If Joe sends a message to Bob and to Helpdesk, Bob will actually get 2
> messages.  Bob will see Joe's message, and Bob will get a message from
> Helpdesk with the ticket number in the subject.
>
> If Bob reads Joe's message and does a reply all, then Bob's message will
> go to Joe and to the Helpdesk.  Since this is not the message with the
> ticket number in it, it appears to be a new message.
>
> If Joe and Bob keeping replying to each other's messages (instead of
> Helpdesk messages) and including the Helpdesk, a lot of new tickets will
> be created.  It's good there is a feature to merge tickets. :-)

Yeah; I'm on it now.  Doesn't Bob's reply have an "In-Reply-To" header
with the Message-ID of the original message?  Does RT currently cache
the Message ID of the opening message with each ticket?  Cause that
might solve many of these...

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me