[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to HelpdeskandCCothers

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Mar 5 16:49:39 EST 2005

> That sounds like fun, actually.
>
> Specifically the point I was making was that if RT logged the
> Message-ID of messages which start tickets (or, better, all of them)
> in a table with the associated ticket number, then it could check the
> In-Reply-To ID on new messages, looking for a ticket that the message
> could be in reference to, and treat it as being attached to that ticket
> even if it can't find any of it's other headers.

iirc, there's a patch waiting for application which records message ids
into the attachments table (where there's already a place for it). Point
me at the patch and I'll get it into 3.4.2.

> (I'm working this implementation out as I go along; could you tell? :-)
>
> I'm tempted to say *all* MUA's generate a parseable IRT header these
> days;

Where in 2822 does it say I need to do that? /bin/mail sure doesn't do
that.

> this might be a generally useful extension to the mail interface,
> since it makes the system even more proof against failing to notice
> that a message is on an already open ticket.

I don't know about you, but I've got a fair number of users who start a
new ticket by replying to an old ticket and changing the subject and
body.  If this is really the behaviour you want, you should use the
--extension=ticket functionality in rt-mailgate to get ticket-specific
email addresses.