[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to HelpdeskandCCothers

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Mar 5 19:24:42 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:05:27PM -0500, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > those people who did.  And unless I misunderstand what you say in that
> > last graf, that won't help either, because the reply will go to the
> > same ticket *anyway*.  It's *still* a training issue, there, although,
> > admittedly, "change the addressee" is much easier to teach than "delete
> > this hidden header".
>
> When you're sending To: ticket-2345 at example.com, it's obvious that
> you're appending to ticket 2345.  Very few MTAs will even let you edit
> an in-reply-to header.

You're right, of course.

TheBet, for Windows, would let you edit it, if you had configured it to
display, and Mutt, on Linux, will let you 'E' the message, and put all
the headers in the editor buffer.  But it is uncommon.

I hadn't realized that there was such a prominent reason why you'd need
to do it, if you did.  I suspect there's still an audience for whom the
features outweigh the bugs, but I don't know how large that audience is.

If the patch you mentioned goes in easily, then the remining necessary
support might be fairly trivial to add, as well.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me