[rt-users] Dealing with people who send email to HelpdeskandCCothers

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 6 16:53:05 EST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 03:12:07PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:49, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > > I'm tempted to say *all* MUA's generate a parseable IRT header these
> > > days;
> >
> > Where in 2822 does it say I need to do that? /bin/mail sure doesn't do
> > that.
>
> I suspect you could count the people using /bin/mail as their favorite
> MUA on your toes.

Aw, c'mon; I'm sure dmr loves it.  :-)

> > I don't know about you, but I've got a fair number of users who start a
> > new ticket by replying to an old ticket and changing the subject and
> > body.  If this is really the behaviour you want, you should use the
> > --extension=ticket functionality in rt-mailgate to get ticket-specific
> > email addresses.
>
> I fairly often get tickets CC:'d to my own address and reply to my
> copy before noticing that an alias pointing to RT is also included in
> the addresses.  This, of course makes an unrelated ticket that is
> hard to match up with the one made by the original email.  When I
> do this myself it is hard to complain about others doing it...
>
> Perhaps for messages missing the ticket number in the subject line
> you could check for a match on IRT with a known msg-id but only
> merge it if the subject line still matches minus a leading RE:.
>
> That should cover desired behavior either way.

Sounds like maybe.  I wonder how much extension it would take to get
there.  (Everybody remember now: this wasn't *my* windmill; I'm merely
kibitzing, because I'm a better designer than coder.)

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me