[rt-users] form letters that are not scrip templates

Duncan Hutty dhutty+rt at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 10 14:11:47 EST 2005

We had hacked some form letter functionality into our 0.ancient version
of RT. I am hoping that RT3 has something along similar lines. Please
confirm or deny.

Certain requests come in again and again and should be given the same
(extensive) response. For example, "Has my application for graduate
admission been received/granted?" We need to reply manually to such
requests since I don't think that we could generate a regex based filter
that automagically knew the incoming request should received that type
of response. Therefore, we should like to be able to hit 'reply with
form letter' and select a form letter with substituted values for
certain variables within the template.

Obviously if this is not already present I could use the existing
'browse' button and the user could pull in something from the filesystem.

Another option would be to create a dedicated queue, have the ticket
placed in that queue if a human determined that it should be given a
form letter response and then have an 'On Create' scrip for that queue
only that sends a templated response. However, I suspect scalability
issues with this option, since I think I would need one queue per template.

I am rather new to RT and would therefore appreciate comments since I
don't have a good feel for it yet.
Thanks.

--
Duncan Hutty