[rt-users] form letters that are not scrip templates

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 10 14:50:30 EST 2005

Jay,

>Is it possible for a Ticket-level custom field to have different pull-down
>answers
>in different queues?  (IE: are ticket-level custom fields an attribute of
>a queue?
>I think they are...)

Yes. I've been using RT since 3.0.something, and queue-level ticket CFs
have been there since then.

In the 3.4 series, custom fields got much more flexible (and more
complicated). I like to think of them having 2 attributes (or
dimensions),  ApplicableObject and Scope.

- ApplicableObject would describe what kind of object you can attach a CF
to. up to 3.2 this would only be Ticket. In 3.4 this can be Ticket, Group,
User or Ticket Transaction.  In the UI this also corresponds to which
screen you would see the CF on - for example a CF applicable to User
objects would appear on the User edit screen.

- Scope would describe at what "level" the custom field applies. This can
be Queue or Global. (for some CFs, Global may be the only applicable Scope
value - e.g. Group CFs).

These two attributes together would describe where the CF fits in the RT
universe - for example a Global Ticket Transaction CF appears on any
transaction in the system while a Queue Ticket CF appears on tickets in a
particular queue.

Hope this is helpful.

Steve