[rt-users] Approval by group

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Thu Mar 10 17:52:19 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:19:38PM -0500, William Faulk wrote:
> William Faulk wrote:
> >
> >I'm setting up an approval mechanism and was hoping that there was some
> >way in which I could get an approval ticket owned by a group.
> >
> >What I'm trying to do is have a ticket require approval, but the
> >approval can come from any one of several people.
> >
> >Is this doable?
>
> Hmm.  Thinking about it, I could create a queue that only that group can
> take ownership of tickets from (or even see for that matter), but since
> I really want to do this for a large number of groups, that means a lot
> of queues.
>
> So it's doable, but is there a better way?

RT does not let more than one user or a group to own a ticket. I
think this is a deficiency that could be overcome in RT with some
work but haven't had time to look into.

What we do is assign the group as an AdminCc role and give that role
proper rights to approve the ticket. I have also hacked RT so that
e-mail alerts will go to a group e-mail address instead of each member
of the group individually. That way the person who is on-call and
monitoring the group mailbox will take care of the ticket.

-Todd