[rt-users] Re: Installing RT on RHEL 4.

seph seph at directionless.org
Fri Mar 11 12:20:52 EST 2005

> Scenario 2:  Rolling my own
>
>     - re-install (maybe) RHEL4 or just remove all the perl
>       Packages and build my own perl from sources
>     - Use CPAN to get modperl and all the modules I'll need
>     - Install RT 3.0.12
>     - Do some testing
>     - Upgrade to 3.4.x

I would strongly encourage this route. Keeping your own perl makes
upgrades much simpler, since rpm and cpan aren't stepping on
eachother.

There's no reason you have to remove the rhel4 perl. it lives over in
/usr, your perl lives in /opt. Just make sure you build RT with the
right one.

I find fastcgi faster and less error prone than mod-perl.

Why not just install 3.4.x directly?

seph