[rt-users] RT sending blank email bodies

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Mar 18 20:07:37 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:01:32AM -0600, Jonathan Reeder wrote:
>    I   have  probably  2  or 3 Requestors  a  week who  report  that  all
>    correspondences they receive from RT are blank.  Apparently the emails
>    have  subjects, but the bodies are completely empty.  Unfortunately, I
>    can't  reproduce  this  problem, and until I had heard it from several
>    users,  I just wrote it off.  I know that this could just as easily be
>    a  problem with my MTA as with RT, but since I only hear the complaint
>    regarding  messages  sent via RT, I figured I'd ask if anyone else has
>    ever experienced reports of this type of behavior.
>
>    Also,  if  anyone has any tips for me in terms of debugging this thing
>    or attempting to reproduce it, they would be greatly appreciated.

The problem *might* be, and I'm not familiar enough with RT yet to say
for sure, that the MIME formatting of the outgoing message is something
the MUA at the other end doesn't like.

You might find it useful to capture the User Agent strings from all
your incoming mail, and see if you can get a correlation.

An incorrectly configured Mutt can do this, for example, with
Multipart/Alternative or Text/Richtext messages; and the Encoding can
be an issue as well.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me