[rt-users] email ticket problems

Ramon Kagan rkagan at yorku.ca
Thu Mar 24 16:06:04 EST 2005

No quite... your idea is right the methodology isn't 100%.

Find your smrsh binary.
Do a ->   strings -a smrsh | "/"

The output will be something like...
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
@(#)$Id: smrsh.c,v 8.63 2003/12/15 17:12:29 ca Exp $
/etc/mail/smrsh
/usr/bin:/bin
/bin/sh
Cannot exec /bin/sh: %s
@(#)$Id: errstring.c,v 1.19 2003/12/10 03:53:05 gshapiro Exp $
I/O error
.
.
.

The two key lines are: (they may be different values depending on how it
was compiled)

/etc/mail/smrsh
/usr/bin:/bin

The first is where smrsh will look for either the binary (rt-mailgate) or
the link to the binary.

The second is where smrsh will only accept links to point to.

So if you have rt-mailgate in say /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate, linking from
/etc/mail/smrsh won't work.  You need to put a link from /usr/bin or /bin
(in this case) to /opt/... and then a second link from /etc/mail/smrsh to
the /usr/bin or /bin link.  Of course you could just copy the binary, but
upgraded become messy.

Finally, ensure your trusted-users values are valid if you have that
initialized in sendmail.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Information Security  -  Senior Information Security Analyst
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan at yorku.ca

I have not failed.  I have just	       I don't know the secret to success,
found 10,000 ways that don't work.     but the secret to failure is
				       trying to please everybody.
	- Thomas Edison				- Bill Cosby