[rt-users] Re: Problem with LDAP Overlay script

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue May 10 15:57:26 EDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:17:59PM +0000,
 ckugelman at comcast.net <ckugelman at comcast.net> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

> We are using the LDAP overlay script (found in the contrib section
> of best practical) and cannot get it to work correctly.

I use it (with great satisfaction) against an OpenLDAP server so be
patient, there is hope.

> $LdapServer="999datdsr004.ittesi.com";  # LDAP server for

I assume that:

1) you tested it with ldapsearch to check it works OK?

2) you examined its log to see if RT is actually sending something (I
do not know iPlanet but, with OpenLDAP, just logging the requests
solve 99 % of LDAP authentication problems)?

> $LdapBase="";   # search base

Are you sure? You certainly have a root like 'dc=yourschool,dc=edu'.

> The testrt user was created to test user binding (we are unsure if
> we are to bind as a specific user and then search the database for
> authentication or not).

My LDAP server allows anonymous requests so I do not use this.

> We've tried doing it leaving those two user fields blank. We've
> tried playing around with case (out of desperation) and have had no
> luck.

Examine the log of the LDAP server and the log of RT (in Apache's log
file).