[rt-users] Purpose of name field / operating AT /date fields

John Parker johnp at fmgsupport.com
Thu May 12 06:26:25 EDT 2005

Hi.

I am (still) thinking about what or how to track my sub 200 users and
their machines. I have a test RT rig with AT on it. I was wondering
about a couple of things, firstly the "name" field in AT: What do people
use it for? For example I can understand that you might want to record
the hostname of a computer, but then not do so for monitors, modems and
other kinds of assets: As it is a unique field does it imply that this
is where you would record an Asset TAG id?

Secondly when it comes to custom fields- what have people chosen? (Just
to see if you are using AT the way I was thinking of using it.) Mine so
far are make, model, sn, screen size select-one/type-one fields.

Thirdly on the subject of dates: Would there be enough unanimity in the
at user base to allow the cannibalisation of RT's ticket dates code say
for acquisition date / warranty expiration? - I know I could type the
dates in as text in a custom field but it would be neater to have them
stored as dates.

On the RT side of things; what about this dates thing? Is there any
intent to create a custom field of type date in the pipeline? As far as
I can see it is a pretty useful function to have.

One final question on the RT side: When using WikiText in RTFM / other
places, do people generally create text articles with the odd hyperlink,
or richer content with images / screen grabs etc? The wiki implies that
you can use some html elements so I wondered whether people used it that
way.

Regards

John

FMG Support,  FMG House, St Andrews Road, Huddersfield HD1 6NA
We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are transmitted from FMG Support to any third party.
FMG Support accept no responsibility for any damage or loss resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this e-mail or its contents.
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on this e-mail, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not those of the Company unless specifically indicated to that effect.
If you have received this e-mail in error please inform us
[mailto:postmaster at fmgsupport.com] and delete it from your mailbox and/or any other storage mechanism.