[rt-users] Separating access to queues (a la CPAN)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Sat May 14 10:19:31 EDT 2005

Hi all,

After using RT for years through CPAN, I've finally taken the plunge and
set it up for my company. The install of v3.4.2 went fairly well. I was
even able to get it running under mp2-RC6 with some hacking of the
webmux and HTML::Mason modules (not recommmended for the short-tempered :).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to manage this incredible tool. I have
setup 2 groups--staff and clients. Now I want my clients to be able to
submit tickets which my staff can take. I think that my preference would
be to have global queues with tickets categorized by client. The goal is
to allow a client to acces only their tickets but to allow staff to see
all tickets.

CPAN looks like a good model where each project has its tickets
separated. Is this done via separate queues or some other method? I'm
hoping that others have already been down this path and can advise me to
the most logical setup.

Also, is there a way to allow unregistered users the ability to bypass
the logon and simply submit a new ticket? Of course, when an
unregistered user submits a ticket, a new user is created. Is there a
way to grant access to that user to the RT system or must a new password
be manually created by an administrator? It's probably best that they
not be granted immediate access since I would need to give them access
to the right queue or category of tickets (based on whatever design I
come up with from my question above).

Speaking of passwords, I'm finding that when I add a new user, I have to
submit the password twice before it will take effect. Is this normal?

I checked the Wiki and the manual but could not find any references to
the above despite all the other excellent advice I was able to find. If
I overlooked anything, references would be appreciated so that I know
where to look next time.

Thanks,
William

--