[rt-users] email responses created separate tickets

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon May 16 13:13:49 EDT 2005

At Monday 5/16/2005 12:29 PM, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>I am a bit confused about emailed responses to rt tickets. First, I have
>an alias setup so that mail to sysadmin at domain.com comes into the local rt
>sysadmin queue. That seems to work fine. Now I have a situation where a
>user sent an email to rt which didn't get added as a ticket to rt (the
>cause is a network problem not an rt problem). I then responded to her
>email which still had the cc to the sysadmin queue, and the ticket got
>created. When another employee responded to my response, a second ticket
>was created instead of it being added to the ticket I created. Then the
>original sender replied, and a third ticket was created. What criteria
>determines whether a new ticket gets created or whether the email is
>appended to an existing ticket? Is it a ticket number in the Subject line
>or something like that? I have googled for the answer, but everything I
>have found has been either too high level to mention something so trivial
>or too low level to do so.

Vivki,

RT looks for subject line like [your-rt-instance-name #nnnn] where nnnn is
the ticket number. If it can get a ticket number from the subject line and
the ticket exists, it will append. Otherwise it's a new ticket.

You might want to use sysadmin at domain.com purely to feed into RT and let RT
handle copies to the relevant people via watchers & scrips. The way you
have it set up, you are often going to get lots of new tickets created when
people reply and cc your sysadmin email address.

Steve