[rt-users] Separating access to queues (a la CPAN)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon May 16 13:43:29 EDT 2005

> William - I can't answer all your questions, but here's something for a
> couple of them -

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to think my message got lost in the
weekend traffic.

> I think the typical setup is to use groups only for staff. The way to
> distinguish between clients and staff is to flag staff users as
> 'privileged' and to leave client users unprivileged. The acl screens all
> provide a way to set rights for privileged and unprivileged users. This way
> you can define different access for staff & clients.

That's the setup I'm hearing as I read through the messages on the list.
Do you provide the web interface for your unprivileged users or must
they correspond only via email? I can't seem to get around the login
page when I'm trying to access the site as an unprivileged user.

> You can then use groups then control the access of different staff groups
> to different queues.

You're working in a bigger organization than I :). One staff group will
be sufficient for the forseeable future though it's good to have the
option in mind if only for a potential client.

> >CPAN looks like a good model where each project has its tickets
> >separated. Is this done via separate queues or some other method? I'm
> >hoping that others have already been down this path and can advise me to
> >the most logical setup.
>
> Using queues for different projects would be a good approach.

OK, that's the picture I'm starting to get. Now if I can only figure out
how to give an unprivilege user access to only his/her queue.

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.