[rt-users] Separating access to queues (a la CPAN)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue May 17 19:31:05 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:02:03PM -0400, Stephen Turner wrote:
> If you grant an unprivileged user access to RT, they will see the "Self
> Service" interface - it gives visibility of their own tickets and the
> ability to create tickets in queues they have rights to. They would still
> have to log in though to get there.

I guess I'm not clear on how an unprivileged user accesses the
Self-Service interface. There is no link in the email that is sent out
or on the default login page. I have found the article about Rights in
the wiki which was useful.

It referenced a page called SelfService which made no sense to me as it
was talking about custom fields, not unprivileged user access. I also
found SelfService referenced on the Contributions page. This made it
look like an extension or patch but with no other link than the one
above.

> I don't think RT has an interface for unauthenticated users to create
> tickets (apart from the email interface). I think I remember this subject
> being raised before in the mailing list but I can't find a reference.

The suggestions by Drew and Jay should work fine if I need to implement
that option. Too bad someone hasn't made an extension or patch yet for
this feature.

> What would be the association between an unprivileged user and a queue?
> Would it just be the tickets she created? If so, you can grant rights to
> the Requestor role. Then she'd have access to "her" tickets.

Yes, you've got the idea. I have granted SeeQueue to Everyone but still
do not know what the url is that she would use to see her tickets. Sorry
if I'm being dense.

Thanks,
William

--