[rt-users] RT upgrade failing!

Chuck Mead csm at redhat.com
Tue May 24 18:50:58 EDT 2005

Jesse Vincent wrote:

>>My
>>problem is that the RT upgrade path appears to be broken. My original
>>version is RT 3.0.7_01 and that version requires sperl which is not
>>required under the new version (3.4.2). As you may know, unless I want
>>to do a customized perl build on rhel4 there is no sperl. So when I try
>>to upgrade from 3.0.7_01 to 3.4.2 it wants me to do a series of database
>>upgrades involving the schemas, acls, and some data inserts.
>>Theoretically these updates should move my existing database from
>>version 3.0.7_01 to 3.1.0  to 3.1.15 to 3.1.17 to 3.3.0 to 3.3.11 which
>>is where it seems to stop.
>

> Which is right, because there hasn't been a schema change since 3.3.11
>

>>This all breaks down pretty early though because at 3.1.15 there is no
>>upgrade schema for postgres and no ACL's update either. The bottom line
>>here is that it seems there is *NO* viable upgrade path to get from
>>3.0.7_01 to 3.4.2.
>

> RT 3.4.2 shouldn't throw errors if there was nothing to do for a given
> database for a specific upgrade.  Did you try to upgrade all the way and
> have it fail? I've done the upgrades, not just in house but for a number
> of customers.

Yes... I ran this:

//begin code
#!/bin/bash

for i in 3.1.0  3.1.15  3.1.17  3.3.0  3.3.11

do
echo $i
/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba postgres --action schema --datadir
etc/upgrade/$i

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba postgres --action acl --datadir
etc/upgrade/$i

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba postgres --action insert --datadir
etc/upgrade/$i

done
//end code

After running that and getting errors splatted all over the place it
fails to run and the apache logs are reporting that there is no users
database.

- --
Chuck Mead <csm at redhat.com>
Instructor II (and resident Postfix bigot), GLS
Disclaimer: "It's Thursday and my name is Locutus of B0rk!"
Addendum: "Bwahahaha! Fire up the orbital mind-control lasers!"