[rt-users] attaching a wiki to RT

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 1 11:17:20 EST 2005

At Monday 10/31/2005 01:47 PM, Corey wrote:
>On Monday 31 October 2005 03:15 pm, Stephen Turner wrote:
> > I have some rough notes which aren't in state I'd care to share right now
> > but if you're interested I'll do a quick clean up & post them.
> >

>Yes, that would be very cool - I'd certainly like to see those, if you could.

Here are my notes. Based on RT 3.4.1.

What are the hooks in RT that define the interface with RTFM?

- The reply screen (Ticket/Update.html) allows for a
callback  (BeforeMessageBox) that is used to implement one part of the FM
interface. It includes the "Search for RTFM articles matching" and "Include
RTFM article" pieces.

- In Elements/MessageBox (various screens, used for typing in reply or
comment), callback allows for putting content of RTFM article into text
area. Callback is Elements/MessageBox/Default

- "Extract Article" appears on heading line for ticket. This is just link
to RTFM article creation. Callback is Ticket/Elements/Tabs/Default

- RTFM entry appears on left-side menu. Link to RTFM section.
/Elements/Tabs/Default

- autohandler callback adds "use" statements for FM classes.
autohandler/Default

Some ideas for how to use these hooks to use (for example) the RT wiki as
the integrated KB instead of RTFM:

Abbrev: URL wiki.bestpractical.com is referred to as wiki

- Search for wiki articles matching:
   - modify BeforeMessageBox to invoke URL
wiki/index.cgi?action=search&search_term=<input field> to do search
- Choose the article:
   - modify BeforeMessageBox to make hidden "refers-to" field (creates link
from ticket to article)
- Filling in message box
   - modify MessageBox/Default to fetch the chosen wiki article, parse out
the content (<div id="content_pane">), and put it into the message box

- extracting article to FM - FM's ExtractFromTicket.html gets ticket id,
loads up ticket and gets content from Ticket & Transactions. We'd have to
find a way of getting ticket content to new wiki article. We could send
content via URL - receiving KB would need to be able to read it. wiki can
do this by invoking 'preview' mode:
wiki/index.cgi?action=edit&page_name=<article-name>&page_content=<article
content>&button=PREVIEW

- Mod /Elements/Tabs/Default to have link to wiki

- no need for autohandler callback