[rt-users] Import data from another ticketing system

Scott Edwards supadupa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:25:56 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, Hersker, Steve <SHersker at tngus.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to RT and am hoping to replace our existing commercial help
> desk ticketing software with RT. But, we've been using this other app for
> almost four years and have 20,000+ tickets in it….I'd hate to walk away from
> that history and am hoping to find a way to import it into RT.

What commercial help desk are you speaking of?  It's possible someone
else has created a migration tool already.  I've inspected the
database that RT relies on, and I'm sure there are some straight
forward ways to import that data.  AFAICT, the API allows you to hand
craft a new script to do just this.  My advisement is be patient, and
keep a few backups of your existing RT setup on hand.  Sure, you can
reinstall, but it's easy enough to drop the database, recreate and
reimport from a previous backup if something goes awry.

Good luck!  I'd like to know more about this myself.  I have a
ticketing system I plan to do this with in the near future. (That
ticket system is from scratch as an inhouse tool however...)

Scott