[rt-users] RT Grindingly slow over DSL

Mark Farver mfarver at ticom.com
Tue Nov 8 13:52:46 EST 2005

Robert Fleming wrote:

> I have installed RT 3.2.1 on apache2/mod_perl config.  The server is a
> old PIII 800mhz 512 with a 20gig disk.  The machine is quick to
> display pages over the Lan.  However when I'm home using it it's
> apaulingly slow.  For instance a to load the new query page which is a
> static size it's taking 2 minutes to display.  I've been watching the
> load on the server and it's less than 2% while loading the page.  Mind
> you there is probably some SSH over head but I've seen faster
> performance from our fat client applicatons on the same connection.
> Wondering what I should begin looking at?

You'll need to provide more details about how you are connecting. RT's
HTML is a little verbose, but it still works well over low bandwidth
connections.

You mention SSH, so I have to guess you are doing port redirection
(often slow, especially if compression is not turned on) or worse PPP
over SSH.. (very very bad)

If possible switch to an SSL connection while testing, or use a straight
http connection.  Verify SSH is using compression.  Fire up a packet
monitor to look for excessive IP Fragmentation.  Proxy server on the
client end... those would be my first guesses.

If you really need need VPN functionality, try OpenVPN instead of SSH
port redirection.. it is generally faster and far more flexible.

Mark Farver