[rt-users] Viewing RT as a (read-only) IMAP server

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:13:07 EST 2005

>Yes. It would be very cool. The IMAP protocol is non-trivial. Sadly,
>I've not found a good solid IMAP server library for perl that we could
>make use of.

   Interesting.  And it wouldn't have to be read-only -- you
   could use imap to change queues.  And a "reply" could
   be a real email reply, that in fact appended to the ticket.
   (Wouldn't be too hard to insert some sort of email header
   that provided credentials that proved the sender got it
   from imap, and therefore could resolve, delete, assign, etc.

   Not that I have any time to throw at this, but were you
   looking for a pure-perl imap server?  Or a C library where you
   could embed a perl interpreter for handling a "mailbox driver"?
   Or would you do this similarly to the CLI, where the imap
   server would make web calls?

     bobg