[rt-users] resetting ticket numbers

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 19 15:48:21 EST 2005

At Friday 11/18/2005 01:11 PM, Walmach, Joe wrote:

>In addition to the other replies on this subject Im going to include an
>answer to my original question which I just implemented.
>
>  On my Linux sever running mysql I did the following:
>
>After backing up the data base I logged into mysql and switched to my rt
>database.
>
>I then ran:
>
>TRUNCATE TABLE Tickets ;
>
>And then
>
>TRUNCATE TABLE Transactions ;
>
>I then restarted mysql
>
>This emptied the Tickets table and all historical data on those same
>tickets that resided in the Transactions table. I now am back to ticket
>number 1 without the history of the previous tickets showing up. In
>addition I didnt have to disrupt my queues, users, scrips, etc.  I hope
>this is of value to someone.
>

>Joe

Joe,

As stated before this is a really bad idea - your database has now lost
data integrity. It's not a good idea to truncate tables without
understanding the ramifications. The above approach cannot be of value to
anyone - please be sure you know the subject matter before posting advice
for others. I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but I'd hate to think of someone
reading this, thinking that it was an OK solution, and ruining their database.

Steve