[rt-users] "Tickets" search function fails

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Sat Nov 19 18:30:48 EST 2005

To those of you who are Perl geeks, which I am not, this may be a dumb question,
but I'm trying to figure out why I have the following error in RT 3.4.4:

error:   Can't locate object method "new" via package
 "RT::Interface::Web::QueryBuilder::Tree" at
 /home/local/rt-3.4.4/share/html/Search/Build.html line 509.
  context:
  505:
  506:    my $depth = 1;
  507:
  508:    # make a tree root
  509:    $$tree = RT::Interface::Web::QueryBuilder::Tree->new;
  510:    my $root = RT::Interface::Web::QueryBuilder::Tree->new( 'AND', $$tree );
  511:    my $lastnode = $root;
  512:    my $parentnode = $root;
  513:
  code stack:    /home/local/rt-3.4.4/share/html/Search/Build.html:509
 /home/local/rt-3.4.4/share/html/Search/Build.html:260
 /home/local/rt-3.4.4/share/html/autohandler:215

I looked at the Tree.pm module, and there indeed *isn't* any "sub new {...}"
declaration. So the proximate cause of the error seems obvious. What I can't
figure out is why the calling method is attempting to call a method that
doesn't exist. This causes the main screen of the ticket search function to
abort, so I know this has to be working for others. Ergo, I've done something
wrong in my config, which prevents the "new" method from being inherited from
somewhere else that it should.

Google searches on various keywords from the error string haven't helped. If
I recall, Perl inherits "up" the directory tree. The level above has a module
called Handler.pm that does have a "new" method. The Tree.pm file is alone in
the QueryBuilder tree.

The rest of RT seems to be working flawlessly. I haven't patched any source
code with local changes, nor do I have any custom scrips. I'm an experienced
programmer, but a Perl novice, and that combination makes me ignorant of Perl
but also smart enough to *know* that I'm ignorant of Perl, and therefore not
to touch things I don't understand. {GRIN}

Any Perl wiz care to give me a hint where to look for the cuase of this?
Do I have an include path problem, and if so, where do I change that setting
for Perl?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Scott