[rt-users] Database Upgrade Errors -- Please Help

Jennifer I. Moore jim1 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 21 16:00:46 EST 2005

At 11/21/2005 12:33 PM, you wrote:
>Hello Jennifer,
>
>You didn't mention what version of RT you installed on the new server. If
>it's 3.4.4 that would account for the errors in the database upgrade
>scripts - the changes it was trying to make are already in place.
>
>I'm not sure of the exact upgrade path from 3.0 to 3.4, but I think
>generally speaking you should start with a replica of your older system
>and let the RT upgrade scripts take care of bringing the database up to
>the latest version rather than installing 3.4.4 and importing your old
>database.
>
>Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply.  Our old (currently production) server has old
versions of MySQL, Apache, and RT (3.0.0).  Also, it is a static build,
with many parts relying on system shared libraries.  The new server has
everything in its own filesystem on a SAN, with upgraded versions of all of
the parts.  So, it is not really possible to just use the old stuff.

In a sense, we are creating a "replica" on the new server, just with newer
versions of the software pieces.  The MySQL import puts the old database in
place on the new server.  Then I run make upgrade instead of make install
for RT.  But the db upgrade scripts are not all working.  The new RT is
online, but pieces are not displayed.  The db dump from the old system
shows all the data.

Thanks again Steve.

Jennifer