[rt-users] rt 3.4.2 against oracle 10g

Tony Lincoln AHLincoln at lbl.gov
Wed Nov 23 15:11:00 EST 2005

I ran into something similar, although I'm running Solaris and Oracle
9i.  Jesse pointed me to session locking.  Session management defaults
to Apache::Session::File when in use with Oracle.  So performance takes
a double hit, first from all the file I/O, which degrades as
$RT/var/session_data/ fills with files, and second from the session
locking that Apache::Session performs to prevent session object corruption.

I set up a cron job to clear $RT/var/session_data regularly and that
sped things up noticeably.  The next step would be to disable session
locking.  I tested this under minimal load and it seemed to work okay
(YMMV).  For now, I'm leaving locking enabled unless performance goes
south again.

The other option is to try and enable session storage in Oracle.  I gave
it a shot but the behavior was a little erratic.

Hope this helps.

-Tony