[rt-users] LDAP authentication..

TeleMole telemole at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 18:26:03 EST 2005

Hi all,

This is my first post to the list - and I have had a good general look
around - but couldn't find the answers I was after.

I am a new administrator of RT and will be implementing it for our
corporate helpdesk along with a few other departments to handle
various requests.

We run a Novell Netware tree and have LDAP servers runnning there.  I
have been able to successfully use ldap to authenticate users to
access the rt web server - but not to the RT application.

example : user 'sdaniels' exists in both the tree (as
sdaniels.people.ourcompany) and 'sdaneils' exists in RT (having been
manually created) but when i turn on ldap authentication to the RT app
(setting WebExternalAuth to 1) i am not loggin in successfully to RT.

I then decided to set WebExternalAuto to 1 to see just who exactly was
authinticating according to LDAP :)

The result was the creation of a user called
'cn=sdaniels,ou=people,o=ourcompany'

I am hoping someone has already encountered and conquered this before,
as I am admittedly a little out of my depth.

If I can get LDAP authentication working - ie - just the user name
being created or passed, what happens when people email requests in?
Is there a way to strip the '@ourcompany.com' off the user name upon
autocreation of the account?

Sorry for all the questions, I look forward to any advice you all may
have - and will appreciate comments/suggestions.

cheers,

Sean Daniels
Senior Systems Administrator
Trent University IT