[rt-users] Performance with many attachments and transactions

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Nov 28 15:06:53 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:03:42PM -0500, Stephen Turner wrote:
> At Monday 11/28/2005 01:13 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>

> >Seams reasonable enough. I've created a ticket for this one, but it'll
> >likely get fixed a lot faster if someone steps up with a patch.
> >
> >Jesse
>
> Can you clarify the requirements? It seems like there are all kinds of
> conditions on whether to display an attachment or not that would be
> difficult to cram into a single database query.

> What would be relatively simple though (I think), is to add a "size less
> than MaxInlineBody" limit to the query that gets text attachments. Would
> that be enough?

That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Though I have a nagging
feeling that soem database or other is going to turn this into an even
slower query, possibly by taking the attachments out of the database,
normalizing them to utf-7, counting the bits in each and then summing
the bits using a stored procedure coded in TCL.