[SPAM?] [rt-users] Backup Procedure

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Oct 28 09:04:14 EDT 2005

Hi Keith --

I thought I would combine the best of both approaches in the following manner:
		1. Cron job /etc/init.d/mysqld stop
		2. mysqldump --opt --add-drop-table --single-transaction

                    -u <rt_user> -p <rt_password> - h <databasehost>
rt3 > rt3-mysql-backup
		3. Backup of the filesystems on the RT server including the
directory where the flat file from step 2 is sent.
		4. Cron job /etc/init.d/mysqld start

Your thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Edmunds [mailto:keith at midnighthax.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:20 PM
To: Kaplan, Andrew H.
Cc: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [SPAM?] [rt-users] Backup Procedure

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> I know the mysqldump utility is an option to use when backing up the
> database. My question is, should I use mysqldump in addition to the above
> procedure or is what I am doing now sufficient? Thanks.

Personally I would use mysqldump /instead/ of what you are doing now.
Many reasons, including the removal of the requirement to restore the
database to the exact same version, patchlevel, etc, of MySQL, and the
fact that if there are any kind of problems with the restore, mysqldump
gives you an ASCII file to rebuild the data from - much more flexible
than a binary file.

Keith