[rt-users] Multiple "sibling" approvals (not cascaded)

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Fri Oct 28 14:11:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:23:09PM +0200, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
> Dear RT users,
>
> I'm currently thinking about setting up approvals for change management.
> This will be on a new queue, and all approvers will AdminCC on this
> queue (in a "Change" group).
>
> As I read RT Essentials (really nice book), it seems that approvals may be :
> - given by a single mail address, so a single person,
> - only cascaded (one approval activates the next one).
>
> For my needs, I look forward to "siblings approvals".
> The change request should be approved by all the Change group members,
> no matter the order is. Once all group members have approved, the
> ticket will be approved.
> As a group member disapproves, and rejects the request, then the
> change should either rejected (or postponed).
>
> My question is really simple : can RT manage this type of approvals ?
> Can I give as Owner to the request a group rather than a mail address ?
>
> I have not yet done my homework (set up any test environment, but will
> do that next week if I manage to get some free time), just looking for
> feasibility for now.

What you want can be done. It would probably work something like this:

1. Create change ticket or add AdminCc to change ticket
2. For each AdminCc user create an approval ticket that the
   change ticket depends on.
3. As each approval is approved (resolved) or rejected, run a scrip
   that:
   3a. Recjects the change if any approval ticket is rejected, or
   3b. Resolves the change if all the approvals are resolved.

-Todd