[rt-users] RT 3.4.2/3.4.3 Perl dependencies problem

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Wed Sep 7 15:36:12 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:38:33PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 12:39, Todd Chapman wrote:
> > Yes, according to the AT README file you should do a 'make upgrade',
> > not a 'make install'.
>
> Maybe I missed something but I couldn't see anything that distinguished
> the code and database components in the README.  I wanted a complete
> new install of the code and had removed /opt/rt3 before starting
> (because upgrade attempts had not gone well...).  But, I wanted
> to hook to the existing database when finished.  I just thought I
> should mention this in case someone does the same on a production
> system.  I think it would be more clear if there were separate
> steps to install/upgrade the code and install/upgrade the database
> since they may be out of sync in various ways as you upgrade or
> move things. It would be even better if the database had a field
> that tracked its current version and the install/upgrade script
> automatically did whatever was needed for the current code version
> to work.
>
> And by the way - thanks for releasing asset tracker... I hate for
> my only comments about free software to be complaints.

The difference between an install and an upgrade is that an upgrade
doesn't initialize the database. An install does. The README doesn't
say so, but it is quite explicit about performing a backup before
you do anything. Not doing so would be foolish under any circumstances.
Prompting before removing the tables would be a good thing though.
Patches are always welcome.

-Todd