[rt-users] RT Essentials review?

Travis Campbell travis.campbell at amd.com
Thu Sep 8 15:31:56 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:42:56PM -0400, Matt Hanley wrote:
> I am considering purchasing the RT Essentials book.  Since there's no
> table of contents on-line, and the example chapter is on installing RT,
> it's tough to get a feel for how in-depth the book is.
>
> Can anyone share any insights?

Buy it.

I've been using RT since 1.0 and each time we moved forward to new versions,
I had to wrap my mind around how something worked.

Right now, we're moving from 2.X to 3.4 and the book has saved me quite a bit
of time with the learning curve.  The visual representations of the object
model have helped me understand which direction to go when doing stuff
within templates (for example).  This and the section on Hook::LexWrap have
paid for the book several times over in the amount of time I've saved NOT
having to troll code and poke through the mailing lists (or wiki).

Really, it's not an expensive book, it's worth having it around, even if you
buy it just to support Jesse, Robert, Dave, Darren, and Richard in future
revisions of the code and documentation.

Heck, buy two.  Give one to a friend in another company.  Help spread the
use of RT. :-)

Travis
 Travis Campbell  -  Unix Systems Administrator =    travis at mpdtxmail.amd.com
    5900 E. Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX 78741    =     travis.campbell at amd.com