[rt-users] RT and the Perl Dependency Nightmare...

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Thu Sep 8 23:31:55 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:19:11PM -0400, Timothy E Miller wrote:

[snip]

> With the current RT installation method, so much **** changes in
> Perl CPAN land from version to version that I have to spend a whole
> week trying to debug when to ignore this failed test or which
> packages I have to force.  And since I don't do regular (read:
> religious) upgrades of RT from minor-sub-release to minor-sub-release,
> I then have to jump from 3.2.x to 3.4.4 with a whole new slew of
> package dependencies.  Remember, I'm a sysadmin... not an RT admin.
>
> I can not (and will not) believe the RT developers at Best Practical
> operate that way.  Trusting that 20+ independent Perl developers
> make only perfect bug-fixing upgrades (synchronized, no less) that
> still all magically interoperate as they previously did without
> breaking is only for children who believe in Santa Claus and people
> who think the govt is here to help you.

Yes, they do operate that way. They can do that becuase RT has
regression tests. Each of the perl Modules RT uses has regression
tests. Sometimes there is a bug with a particular version of a
perl module that is not caught until someone reports it, but
mostly things just work fine and it is largely the result of
regression testing. Regression testing = Sant Claus!

[snip]

-Todd