[rt-users] RT 3.4.4 and mod_perl1.99 - clarification

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Tue Sep 13 16:06:10 EDT 2005

> So here in we hit a problem... RHEL3/4 will continue to backport fixes
> to mod_perl 199, it will likely be years before they upgrade to a 2.0X
> version (RHEL5 I would assume)
>
> If 1.99 is mod_perl2 then why won't 3.4.4 work under it?

mod_perl 1.99 is NOT mod_perl 2.0. It's a now-deprecated set of beta
versions.

1.99 used several different APIs over its lifetime. Different,
incompatible APIs. And different, incompatible sets of bugs.

The versions of HTML::Mason that RT needs to run with mod_perl 2.0 have
explicitly removed support for the various beta versions of 1.99.

If you need support for RT on a given version of mod_perl 1.99, Best
Practical or another perl shop could likely do the work to make it run
for you.  HOWEVER, it's something we're explicitly uninterested in doing
and will only consider doing for a paying customer.

If you need to use a non-standard, vendor-supplied version of
Apache, we'd strongly recommend that you consider FastCGI as a
relatively painless alternative.

The above statement is our definitive policy statement on mod_perl 1.99.
Barring major changes to the state of the tools, suitcases of currency
or particularly fine vintages of Scotch or PortI don't plan to
comment further on it.

Best,
Jesse