[rt-users] Unchecking "Let this user be granted rights" results in hang

Peter Struijk ptrstr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:44:32 EDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> Carl Makin wrote:
> > Afternoon All,
> > For quite a while we have been having a problem where is you uncheck the
> > "Let this user be granted rights" option the thread goes into a CPU spin
> > and never returns.
>
> "CPU spin" means we've got some sort of loop going on. Is it hitting the
> database? If so, with which queries? Can you run under standalone_httpd
> and replicate the issue in the debugger? If so, we might be able to find
> the codepath.

!! I've exactly the same issue, under very similar circumstances. It started
occurring under standard Debian Sarge, for both 3.0.12 and 3.4.1, mysql 4.0and
4.1.

Easiest way to reproduce: Toggle "Let this user be granted rights".
Some other administrative tasks also cause it to hang.

Symptoms: Apache child process is using all cpu, slowly eating all memory.

Associated rt.log entry is:
[Mon Sep 12 18:42:07 2005] [warning]: Deep recursion on subroutine
"RT::ACE::_Value" at /usr/share/perl5/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Record.pm line 425.
(/usr/share/request-tracker3.4/lib/RT.pm:277)

It also happens with the standalone_httpd. I haven't tried the debugger yet.

The problem does NOT (immediately) occur with a new database. Only the
imported one.

Any pointers (other than starting over:) are appreciated. I'd be happy to
collect more data.
Thanks
-Peter